Monday, May 24, 2010

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

(review by Deanna)

My Father's DragonThis is a really wonderful book.

When we were ready to find my son, Zack, some longer, more involved material for me to read to him, I went searching for great early chapter books.  This series got multiple recommendations for the best place to start reading chapter books.  We started with My Father's Dragon and requested the other two books.  Later, we were thrilled to be given the series in one volume, Three Tales of My Father's Dragon

Three Tales of My Father's DragonThe story is told by a boy recounting the adventures his father had helping an alley cat to rescue a baby dragon from enslavement by an island of selfish animals.  The young hero uses a series of clever and funny tricks to distract the island's animals and give himself time to find the dragon. 

The plot is very entertaining without being harrowing.  Although there is dramatic tension in the story, it is age-appropriate, something that is hard to find even in young children's books. The language is old-fashioned in the best way.  There are illustrations every few pages, just enough to introduce a pre-schooler to chapter books.

This series would be great for boys or girls, age four and up.  I give it the highest recommendation!

No comments:

Post a Comment