Monday, May 24, 2010

Armadillo Rodeo by Jan Brett

(review by Julie)
Jan Brett has written a whole collection of kids books with fun story lines and amazing artwork. Armadillo Rodeo is no exception!

Armadillo RodeoMy 2 year old son loves for me to read Brett's books to him, but what I love about this book, above her other books, is it's setting in Texas and it's subject matter of a curious armadillo, Bo, who mistakes a red boot for a new friend.

As is Brett's tradition, there's the art work in the center of each page, but there is also art work on the sides of the pages, telling a little more of the story than the words on the page. For example, the image below shows the main story line where Bo gets his first taste of a hot chili pepper. But on the side, you see his mom and brothers talking to a cow, I assume, to ask if he's seen Bo.  These additional illustrations give me and my son something extra to talk about. I like to draw him deeper into the story line by asking him to imagine what might be going on.

I have a lot of friends from Texas, a sister who lives in Texas- I was even born in Texas!  So, I feel a little connection with the book.  Right now we have it from the library, but I've really been wanting to buy it. In fact, I'd like to order a dozen of them for gifts!  I guess for now, I'll just renew the book for another three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment